Saturday, August 12, 2006

Time for some "clownin' around".....

Meet my new assistant....he doesn't have a name yet....well...he does, actually. I just need permission to go public with it first. More about that later...the intelligent among you will figure it out:-)
I really wasn't intending on painting one of these.....for those that don't live here in sunny Sarasota, there will be something like 50 of these clowns, some are male, some female, hanging, or standing, around downtown Sarasota. This is a program developed by and for the benefit of TideWell Children's Services Program to raise $1,000,000 to establish a children's hospice program in Sarasota. So it's for a great cause, I'd say.

In any case, I wasn't crazy about the clown designs, even though I was pretty sure they could be modified by the artists. As for the artists, you were supposed to submit an application with a design, except for the handful of 'celebrity' artists' (I'm not one of them:-)) True to form for me, I actually printed the ap and then promptly forgot about it.....but then a few days ago Terry Vitale, daughter of Dick Vitale, called and asked if I would be interested in 'decorating' the clown Dick sponsored. I had painted murals and floorcloths for Dick and Lorainne a few years ago and so I think they trust me.....little do they know what goes on in my devilish little mind:-)

Seriously though, this guy is about ready to have major surgery. I can't wait....I always wondered what it would be like to be a doctor. I certainly have the appropriate handwriting. Many years ago I worked for about six months for local sculptor Jack Dowd I worked on Butler Number Six and learned a lot in that short time.....mostly, that it was actually possible earn a living as a working artist. So there will be a little bit of what I learned there in my buddy in the photo, I'm sure.

So stay tuned for updates....life is full of unexpected twists and turns....and this is one I wasn't expecting, but I'm now excited about being part of.....

Skip

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank god there's gonna be surgery -- do you ac tually get to physically change the structuer? 'cuz he's a doofus --

(I'm talking about the clown, yes . . .)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Painterskip said...

Well...yeah...cuz he's a clown. However, I agree that he's kinda strange looking. That'll change.
Stay tuned.....

Skip

8:05 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

can't wait to see what you do!
judy
another clown artist

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go,Skip! Nothing could be better than my big brother's great imagina-
tion. Keep your socks on, folks, and get ready for the best clown around (not counting Skip). His little sister (and I mean little), Marilyn Breitegam (from Pennsylvania).

6:03 PM  
Blogger Merrillee said...

Skip, Ahhh so...the Dowd experience comes in handy yet again. Cool beans!!!
Merrillee

10:21 PM  
Blogger Painterskip said...

Yes, Merrillee, I've always credited my experience working for Jack. He certainly had an impact on what I'm doing now, even the murals.

So where are you now?

Skip

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home